Monday 4 August 2008

Yes Baby, it is back!


It is back. My god I have missed it.

I had a summer of Padraig Harrington winning the Open, Lewis Hamilton winning the British Grand Prix, Rafael Nadal winning Wimbledon, Spain winning the Euro’s, England losing to South Africa in the cricket and winning against New Zealand, the nonsense transfer saga inflicting the whole world. Nevertheless, reality is back. Football is certainly coming home.

Travelling up to Madejski Stadium was something amazing, yes, we are relegated boo boo, but I do not particularly care. Sun was shining and piss poor excuse of rain was to ruin it for me but as I glance up to see the stadium shooting up the IDR I know I am back in my element.

I got up there about half twelve to remember my roots, too be honest in my very bad state, I have taken trips up there just to drive around to glimpse at pastures new.

The old face started emerge, the rather large man whose guards the door I enter, I have not even bothered to learn his name but I have seen him for the last six years. The eager autograph hunters that circle the stadium like a pack of lions.

My fellow program sellers are all out, looking rather annoyed that I turned up late but I had to have a look in the newly redeveloped shop as well trying to badger my way into the new 2million pound media facilities. John Motson remarkably turned up and cut the string to unveil the rooms to the public. Well we will not have the South Koreans in there when Soel played for us. They were initially packed up like sardines, as a fragment of the statement. Now we have Premiership facilities with championship press, clever.

Entering the stadium, I caught up loads of people exchanging pleasantries, like before, without actually knowing their names. Speaking to my bosses and exchanging lifeless banter as they forgot how to deal with a happy go lucky, arrogant twenty year old. Seeing I am jack the lad, not many appreciate my lust for life approach, but I do have my regular customers.

Seeing Marcus Hahnemann and exchanging handshakes would have been experience for many but I see it as every home game occurrence. He is probably the nicest man you could ever meet. His larger than life soul expresses new waves of excitement as he walked through towards the player’s entrance; he just gave you a good sense of well being.

I decided to knock off a bit more and went in search for my regulars in the Madejski Hotel. There was a wedding reception in there with loads of beautiful young women; I was having a field day. A broad smile suddenly lit up my face. As I progressed further in, I spoke with, more or less, everyone. Speaking probably the same conversation a hundred but it never gets boring.

I went over to an elder man and started to have banter with him and I found out he was Alex Pearce’s father. He came across as a granddad and he was someone you could really relate too. He spoke of his son escapades with Norwich last season and how Carrow Road generated a decent atmosphere.

I left and waited for the game to start, that day we entertained Aston Villa as our last preseason friendly. I have been looking forward to this for some time. Teams lined up and it is the first time for a long while that Dave Kitson nor Nicky Shorey will be involved but never mind the crowd will make up for that. Yeah, until only 7,218 people turned up and 1,200 of them were Villains. Great way to raise the morale of the team. What a great disrespect. I did feel ashamed but I was under the presumption that Nazis have suddenly risen and there were sounds of Zeppelin circling the M4 to prevent any fans to actually get to the stadium.

Perhaps I was being naive but me and Rich certainly enjoying ourselves as Reading played rather well.

Stephen Hunt missed a penalty and Brad Friedal made one of his standard saves. To be fair, Hunt was probably still stuck in honeymoon mood as he fought of all that sex he has been getting. It is now the football season lad, you play with her again soon.

I was pleased to see a young player actually score as it has been a long while. Jem Karacan played his par very well when Ciise was forced off injured. Karacan had popular spells with Bournemouth and Millwal last season and hopefully he can stamp his authority on the first team this season. I remember him scoring a class volley against Didcot Town in the preseason of last. He looked a much better all rounder now. He managed to tap in as James Harper’s shot took a ridiculous deflection.

The one player I was pleasantly surprised with was Jimmy Kebe, for the first time he actually looked like a footballer. He passed well, his movement was constantly a threat, and he even managed to get in the area often. A complete contrast to what we saw at the emirates, which now seems a long time ago.

James Harper was his ever self, Kevin Doyle and Leroy Lita look as they can spark up their partnership of old. Bobby Convey looks fit and eager to go.

Noel Hunt came on in the second half and within the time it takes to put a condom on, he hit the post. He beat three men and made a superb position for himself and I was gutted to see the ball come of the inside of the post. He looks like he could a good job in replacing Kits.

Villa equalised later on but that does not undermine the performance we produced. I do really feel good about the upcoming season and promotion does look very likely. Time will tell, but as ever, I will remain hopeful.

It is so good to be back.

Come on Urzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steven!
Like your columns :)
I'll be cheering for reading too this year (as I also did last year without succes)
greetz to all my reading boys ;)
Koen DC