Friday 8 August 2008

Shores to leave



As the season begins to start, the more evitable it becomes. The second, arguably third, massive player has left Reading to rejoin the Premiership ranks.

Following in Glen Little and Dave Kitson’s footsteps, Nicky Shorey joins Aston Villa for an disclosed fee. This one inspires me the most as he was Reading’s best player in a time of desperation and rejoice. His contribution was massive and even, the fickle, Steve McClaren gave him his England debut against Brazil, with his only other cap coming against Germany. Obviously they thought a lot of him leaving him out for that queen Lescott.

This day I lost a fie pound bet, as I firmly believed that Shorey would have played in a competitive England International while playing for Reading and these odds looked likely. Again, I was misled and confused when I thought an actual patriotic manager ruled England but it seemed the Scotsman’s Sir Alex Ferguson, Frenchman Arsene Wenger, Portuguese Jose Mourinho and Spaniard Rafa Benitez had too much influence upon his situation.

He never played again despite being called up into the squads, where Steve Warnock has been favoured in the Fabio Capello era.

Nicky Shorey has been my favourite player for a long while as he has the left foot of a god. His range of passing has always been unmatched in that position.

The fondness memory I have of him consists of him spanking that 25 yarder against Tottenham Hotspur in that amazing three one win. I saw myself on Match of the Day, briefly standing up and screaming shoooooooooooooooooooot before he actual did. The ball whizzed pass Paul Robinson and I believe and felt that this was our most prominent moment in the Premiership.

So much more to follow.....

No comments: